There is nothing quite as thrilling as bumping along in the air turbulence that rolls recklessly down the face of ice clad volcanoes and across the open tundra giving our passing Saab 340 the shudders and shakes as we make our descent to the runway in Cold Bay, Alaska. Perhaps the thought that the connecting flight is on the much smaller Cessna Navajo. Every safe landing is a whispered word of thanks and a not so whispered voice of the inner child crying “Let’s do it again!” Traveling in Alaska is never short of spectacular. After a happy landing it is all hustle and gear to make the 15 minute connecting flight to King Cove and the next adventure in surveying. Arrival in King Cove was met by the promise of rain and sleet showers in the moisture laden air as gear is gathered and contact is made with the client representative. The folks of King Cove proved to be friendly and helpful. I was given a brief tour of the layout of town, including my accommodations and the skinny on which store is open how late and where to find better prices. After check-in, its off to the site to begin the survey. The objective of the survey is to subdivide a parcel, approximately 40,000 square feet in size, into 2 equivalent parcels. Overall the project went smoothly. Much of the original monumentation from 1981 was still intact and easy enough to find. I spent the remainder of the first day recovering the corners I could find by tape and Schonstedt, and even lucked into a couple by guess and by golly. As I made my way around the property I laid out my horizontal control points for traversing and locating corners by total station the next day. On day 2 I had some assistance from the local AHA crew. They were very helpful, moving foresights and backsights to the appropriate locations as we collected locational data for the existing monuments. A quick rotation of field coordinates to match the record bearings puts us on our way to finding some outlying monumentation, upon which we will build our boundary. One such monument we recovered was on the edge of a stream and approximately 1/2 foot below the surface of the water and the vegetation. It always feels really good to find a monument at a position you calculated from the surrounding monuments. By day’s end all of the necessary monuments were located, the traverse observations were complete, and I was ready to enjoy a hot meal and a night’s rest. Day 3 brought the departure of the rain and sleet showers that had been keeping us company. The morning was spent calculating the positions of the missing corner monuments for the subject parcel as well as the new corners for the subdivisional line that will exist between the 2 newly created parcels. Once the calculations were complete it was time for some very welcome fun in the sunshine. After so many days of leaden skies it was refreshing to break out the sunglasses. Rebar with Aluminum caps were set for all missing and new monuments to the corners of the parcels. The monuments along the rights-of-way, both new and existing, were occupying the banks of the cut slopes beyond the road ditches, so a little extra time was taken to shore up and protect the monuments with rock cairns, and adequate flagging. Photos were taken of all monuments as well as from several locations around the site. All in all this was a fun project in a lovely location.